Here is why I love running
by David Bohmiller
(Framingham, MA, USA)
Here Is Why I Love Running
I hadn't really considered myself a runner until fairly recently.
I'd grown up participating in all sorts of sports that required running proficiency, and also lots of sports that didn't (swimming, karate, ping pong...haha!).
Once I'd gone to university for Physical Education, and began working directly with clients, I found myself beginning to prescribe fitness program design for not only strength training, flexibility and mobility, and recovery, but also for running.
When you're a coach or fitness professional, it isn't required that you participate in the same activities as your clients, though doing so certainly does open up one's mind to the many possibilities available for individualized programming.
With nearly 20 years in designing programming for athletes (and for everyday people, like me...haha), I'm confident and proud of the achievements and dedication of those I've worked with. It is quite the rewarding profession.
Why I Love to RunAside from being a Coach, here are a few of the reasons that I love to run:
- The Community - the camaraderie and support amongst runners is an awesome thing to experience. Whether online, in-person, or as part of a running club, there are so many people willing to give advice, support, and pearls of wisdom that will surely help in your running journey.
- Health Benefits - running can do wonders for your overall health. Knowing that you're involved in an activity, hopefully consistently, that can have such a positive impact on your cardiovascular health is pretty great. And, when you couple that running with a comprehensive program, involving strength training, flexibility, mindset, and more, the benefits are all that much greater.
- Achievement - Whether you're a fan of competition with others, or against yourself, the feeling of achieving a goal, after having worked consistently in training, is fantastic! We're big fans of running goals, and goals in general. The only thing that we've found to be ever more exciting than achieving our own, personal goals, is when we're present and able to celebrate the achievements of our clients, friends, and family!
- Travel - Running has allowed us to see parts of the continental USA that we might not have explored if we weren't traveling so often to attend races. Living in Boston, we've been able to visit, and race in, Colorado, California, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island, Florida, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Tennessee, and Wisconsin. Up next? We'd love to begin traveling internationally, and to see more of the world!
- Running Stories - We're also huge fans of the running stories that we hear wherever we are; at races, in coffee shops, at the track, etc. There's a wealth of experience out there that can be of incredible use when internalized and applied.
Those Are Just a Few of the Reasons Why Running is Our Favorite!
There are so many more reasons why we love running. Mostly it just makes us happier individuals! Thanks for listening/reading!
About the Author
David Bohmiller is a runner, biker, hiker, and lover of all adventures. He is also a health and fitness professional, holding a degree in Physical Education & Exercise Science, the NSCA CSCS certification, and the NSCA TSAC-F certification, while managing a Marathon Running
site. Hopefully, he'll see you out there on the roads, trails, and mountains some day! Happy Running, all!